My Place Under The Sun

Friday, January 28, 2005

Now What?

Now that all the glitter and glamour (?) of the Cebuano Film Festival is gone, the Cebuano independent filmmakers will now have to face the question: Now what?

I hear that another film festival is brewing for June, Cebuano International Film Festival as they call it. However, I question the timing of an "international film festival" when the audience isn't even ready for independent cinema. And better yet, a film school notoriously known for trying to bring Hollywood (kuno) filmmaking to Cebu is the force behind this festival.

We should re-educate and redefine the consciousness of the audience. Remold the Hollywood thinking into a mind that will love its own culture, its own dialect, its own film. We must also put our minds together and form a network wherein our films will be given exposure outside of our provinces. We must go above and beyond egos and personal ambitions and act on what is needed for the betterment of the community.

Will I be able to fulfill the expectations handed down to me by the great directors I met during the film congress? I do not know but I will sure try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home